As a parting gift, the 2016-2017 PETE Project group wished to leave some wisdom gained through their first year experience at OSU. Here is a list of the top 15 tips from the P*E*T*E Project Community:
- Take advantage of LASSO.
- Use BigWords.com to save money on books or other creative ways to cut textbook costs.
- Write assignments in your planner at the beginning of the semester and then use the planner!
- Get at least one persons number from each of your classes so you always have someone to ask emergency assignment and test questions.
- Look at each class syllabus before the semester to do any pre-class work like reading.
- Visit professors during office hours to make connections and so they remember you.
- Always check your email before class because you may need to bring certain supplies or your professor may have cancelled class.
- Take advantage of Pete’s Pet Posse to find a dog to play with on campus if you are feeling lonely.
- Utilize the writing center for all your papers! Not many people do and professors LOVE when students use their services!
- Don’t pull all nighters. You have to sleep or you won’t do well on your tests.
- Some professors don’t seem very nice in class, but their personalities are much more friendly during office hours. Not being scared of your professor makes the class easier, so visit with them away from class.
- Take advantage of potential secret bonuses, by showing up to every class.
- Check the weather before class and get a backpack with a pocket on each side. One for a water bottle and one for an umbrella.
- Never procrastinate because life may surprise you!
- Use your meal plan to treat yourself to Rancher’s Club or Taylor’s when you’ve had a rough week or just because you deserve it!
Good luck in the fall!